Starbridge Lecturer in Theology and Natural Sciences
Fellow and Director of Studies in Theology Corpus Christi College
Theology and Natural Sciences
Andrew Davison is interested in taking PhD students.
Dr Davison is the Starbridge Lecturer in Theology and Natural Sciences in the Faculty. Previously, he was tutor in doctrine at Westcott House, Cambridge (2010-14) and before that tutor in doctrine at St Stephen's House, Oxford and junior chaplain of Merton College (2006-10). He read chemistry at Merton in the 1990s, followed by a DPhil in biochemistry. He read Tripos in theology and religious studies at Corpus Christi, Cambridge and subsequently completed a PhD in philosophical theology with Dr Catherine Pickstock in the faculty. He is a priest of the Church of England and served a curacy in South East London.
Andrew is author of several books, most recently Care for the Dying (Canterbury Press, 2014 - with the physician Sioned Evans), The Love of Wisdom: An Introduction to Philosophy for Theologians (SCM, 2013) and Why Sacraments? (SPCK, 2013; Wipf and Stock, 2013). His study of mission and the church, with Alison Milbank, For the Parish: A Critique of Fresh Expressions (SCM, 2010) provoked widespread debate as the most significant theological critique of this trend in contemporary Anglican ecclesiology. His edited volume, Imaginative Apologetics: Theology, Philosophy and the Catholic Tradition (SCM, 2011; Baker Academic, 2012) has been taken up, in particular, in the United States.
2015 will see the publication of Participation: An Introduction to Christian Metaphysics (Wipf and Stock) and Blessing: Theology and Practice (Canterbury Press).
Dr Davison has organised several summer schools, conferences and study days on a wide range of topics, including Christian doctrine, theology and art, apologetics and ecclesiology. He is a regular contributor to Church Times and the Times Literary Supplement.
Subject area and speciality
Understandings of form and matter in theology and science; the significance of quantitative and qualitative paradigms in the discipline of theology and science; causation; symbiosis; finitude; theology, science, and participatory metaphysics; divine action and categories of mediation; the pastoral implications of understandings of death and dying; the relation of doctrines.
I am considering applications from doctoral students, principally in the field of theology and natural sciences.
B12: Theology and the Natural Sciences I
C12: Theology and the Natural Sciences II
D1d: The Doctrine of God (Love and Desire)
Other Professional Activities
Member of the English Anglican - Roman Catholic Ecumenical Dialogue
Member of the Society for the Study of Theology
Member of the American Catholic Philosophical Association
Member of the American Academy of Religion
- Andrew P Davison, Jonathan A Jones and Ruth M Dixon, 'Separate Quantification by Doubly and Singly 13C-Labeled [sic] Metabolites by HSQC-Filtered J Spectroscopy', Journal of Magnetic Resonance 137, 448-450. (1999).
- Leanne Roberts, Irshad Ahmed, Steve Hall and Andrew Davison, 'Intercessory Prayer for the Alleviation of Ill-health', Cochrane Review. Issue 2, April 2009. [Medical review paper]
- For the Parish: A Critique of Fresh Expressions (with Alison Milbank, SCM Press, October 2010)
- Creative Ideas for Children's Liturgy (Canterbury Press, three volumes) [As theological consultant]
- Imaginative Apologetics: Theology, Philosophy and the Catholic Tradition (edited volume, SCM Press, March 2011), including the essay ‘Christian Reason and Christian Community’
- Why Sacraments? (SPCK, 2013)
- The Love of Wisdom: An Introduction to Philosophy for Theologians (SCM Press, 2013)
- Associate Editor for Ecclesiology, 9.3, September 2013 [on theological education], including the paper ‘The Ambiguities of Theological Education: Angles on Integration’, Ecclesiology 9.3, November 2013
- Care for the Dying: A Practical and Pastoral Guide (Canterbury Press, 2014, with the physician Sioned Evans
- Blessing (Canterbury Press, 2014)
- Participation: An Introduction to Christian Metaphysics (Wipf and Stock, 2015)
Lift Up Your Hearts [prayer book] (with Andrew Nunn and Toby Wright). London: SPCK, 2010.
Reflections for Daily Prayer, 2012-13. London: Church House Publishing, 2012.
‘Un allargamento del cuore e dello sguardo’ in Emanuela Belloni and Alberto Savorana (eds), Una Certezza per L’Esistenza. Milan: BUR Saggi, 2011.
Reflections for Daily Prayer, 2010-11. London: Church House Publishing, 2010.
‘Theology and the Renewal of the Church’ in Mark Chapman (ed.), The Hope of Things to Come: Anglicanism and the Future. London: Mowbray, 2010.
‘Political Ecclesiologies’ (with John Hughes) Ecclesiology, 9.1 (2013), 106-113.
‘Limite e grandezza dell’uomo’ in Atlantide [quarterly journal of the Fondazione per la Sussidiarietà], 20 (2010).
'La traiettoria della teologia protestante americana: la visione di don Giussani' in Emmanuela Belloni and Alberto Savorana (eds), Ridare Identità All'Uomo. Milan: BUR Saggi, 2011.
‘The Mediating Possibilities of Absence in the Thought of Simone Weil’, Theology, 865, 3-13 (2009).
‘Forgiving Debts: A Theological Perspective from Christianity’. RE Today (September 2009).
Commissioning editor for two series for Canterbury Press: Faith Going Deeper and the Westcott Foundation series
Journalism: features, book review, arts coverage or opinion pieces for The Church Times, The Church of England Newspaper, Theology, Traces and New Blackfriars.