The Faculty Administrator is Secretary to the Faculty Board and several other committees including the Appointments Committee, the Teaching Committee, the Planning and Resources Committee, the Access and Outreach Working Group, the Building and Safety Committee and the Research Committee. He attends the Learning Resources Committee, the Finance Committee and the Access and Outreach Working Group. In addition to serving and attending these meetings he is involved in the day to day activities associated with these committees. Dr Harland manages the Faculty Office and is Safety Officer for the building. He helps to make applications for research grants and arrangements for visiting scholars. He liaises with the central administration and Council of School on a number of matters as required.
From 1992-1994 Dr Harland was an Administrative Officer, in the Pastoral Department at the Church Commissioners. From 1994-1996 he was an Administrative Officer, at the Faculty of Medicine, Health and Biological Sciences, the University of Southampton. On 1 January 1997 he became an Administrative Officer at the Education Section of the Academic Division, University of Cambridge He moved to the Faculty of Divinity on 1 February 2006.
Dr Harland is an organist and plays for services on Sundays for a variety of churches in Cambridge, particularly St. Botolph's and St. Giles, and in Canterbury. He is a member of the Incorporated Association of Organists and the Royal College of Organists. His organ teacher is Anne Page.
Subject area and speciality
- “A Further Note on Genesis 6:13”, Vetus Testamentum 43 (1993), pp. 408-411;
- The Value of Human Life: A Study of the Story of the Flood (Genesis 6-9) Supplements to Vetus Testamentum 64 (E.J. Brill, Leiden, 1996) (a revision of his PhD);
- “Robber or Violent Man? A Note on the Word PARIS”, Vetus Testamentum 46 (1996), pp. 530-534;
- “What Kind of ‘Violence’ in Ezekiel 22:26”, Expository Times 108 (1997), pp. 111-114;
- “Vertical or Horizontal: the Sin of Babel”, Vetus Testamentum 48 (1998), pp. 515-533;
- “Menswear and Womenswear: a Study of Deuteronomy 22:5”, Expository Times (1998), pp. 73-76.
- “A Land Full of Violence: the Value of Human Life in the Book of the Prophet Ezekiel”, in C.T.R. Hayward and P.J. Harland, (eds.), New Heaven and New Earth: Prophecy and the Millennium: Essays in Honour of Anthony Gelston Supplements to Vetus Testamentum 77 (E.J. Brill, Leiden, 1999), pp. 113-127.
- “BS‘ Bribe, Extortion or Profit?”, Vetus Testamentum 50 (2000), pp. 310-322.
Dr Harland was a contributor to the Theologisches Wörterbuch zu den Qumrantexten – Theological Dictionary of the Qumran Manuscripts.