My main academic interest is the interpretation of the New Testament. Having begun as a classicist and also worked in the field of early Judaism, I am particularly fascinated by the connections between the New Testament and the literature contemporaneous with it. My principal theological interests are christology, and the doctrine of the atonement. I am currently writing a commentary on the Gospel of Thomas.
I would be particularly interested in supervising doctoral research in Pauline studies, the christology of the Gospels, and extra-canonical Gospels.
- The Gospel of Judas (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2007).
- The Pre-existent Son: Recovering the Christologies of Matthew, Mark and Luke (Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 2006). xi + 344pp.
- Divine and Human Agency in Paul and his Cultural Environment. Edited with J.M.G. Barclay (London/New York: Continuum, 2006). x + 208pp.
- The Book of Tobit: Texts, Comparisons, Lexicon and Concordance to the Aramaic, Hebrew, Greek, Latin, and Syriac Versions. Edited with L.T. Stuckenbruck & S.D.E. Weeks, eds. (Fontes et Subsidia ad Bibliam Pertinentes; Berlin: Walter de Gruyter, 2004). x + 792pp.
- Where is Boasting? Early Jewish Soteriology and Paul's Response in Romans 1-5 (Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 2002). xii + 311pp.
Publications: selected articles and essays
- ‘The Gospel of Judas’, Expository Times 118.5 (February 2007), pp. 209-215.
- ‘A Proposed Rereading of P. Oxy. 654 line 41 (G. Thom. 7)’, Harvard Theological Review 99 (2006), pp. 355-359.
- ‘Sin in God's Economy: Agencies in Romans 1 and 7’, in J.M.G. Barclay & S.J. Gathercole, eds. Divine and Human Agency in Paul and His Cultural Environment (Library of New Testament Studies; London/ New York: Continuum, 2006), pp. 158-172.
- ‘Paul’s Doctrine of Justification: A Proposal’, in B. McCormack, ed. Justification: From the 10th Rutherford House Conference in Christian Dogmatics (Grand Rapids: Brazos, 2006), pp. 219-241.
- ‘Tobit in Spain: Some Preliminary Comments on the Relations between the Old Latin Witnesses’, in M. Bredin, ed. Studies in the Book of Tobit: A Multidisciplinary Approach (Library of Second Temple Studies; London/ New York: Continuum, 2006), pp. 5-11.
- ‘The Pauline and Petrine Sola Fide’, in M. Bachmann, ed. Lutherische oder Neue Paulusperspektive? (WUNT; Tübingen: Mohr, 2005), pp. 309-327.
- ‘The Heavenly ανατολη (Lk. 1.78-79)’, Journal of Theological Studies 56 (2005), pp. 471-488.
- ‘Pre-existence, and the Freedom of the Son in Creation and Redemption: An Exposition in Dialogue with Robert Jenson’, International Journal of Systematic Theology 7.1 (2005), pp. 36-49.
- ‘On the Alleged Aramaic Idiom behind the Synoptic ηλθον-sayings’, Journal of Theological Studies 55.1 (2004), pp. 84-91.
- ‘Torah, Life and Salvation: Leviticus 18.5 in Early Judaism and the New Testament’, in C.A. Evans, J.A. Sanders, eds. From Prophecy to Testament: The Function of the Old Testament in the New (Peabody, Mass: Hendrickson, 2004), pp. 131-150.
- ‘Justified by Faith, Justified by his Blood: The Evidence of Rom 3.21-4.25’, in D.A. Carson, P.T. O’Brien, M.A. Seifrid, eds. Justification and Variegated Nomism. Volume 2: The Paradoxes of Paul (WUNT; Tübingen: Mohr, 2004), pp. 147-184.
- ‘Jesus’ Eschatological Vision of the Fall of Satan: Luke 10.18 Reconsidered’, Zeitschrift für die Neutestamentliche Wissenschaft 94.2 (2003), pp. 143-163.
- ‘The Justification of Wisdom (Mt. 11.19b/Lk 7.35)’, New Testament Studies 49 (2003), pp. 476-488.
- ‘A Law unto Themselves: The Gentiles in Rom 2.14-15 Revisited’, Journal for the Study of the New Testament 85 (2002), pp. 27-49.
Before my current position, I studied in the Universities of Cambridge and Durham, as well as for short periods at the University of Tübingen and the Jewish Theological Seminary, New York. I taught in the University of Aberdeen for seven years.
- Editor, Journal for the Study of the New Testament (2007-)
- Editorial board member, Horizons in Biblical Theology, 2007-
- Editorial board member, Law and Humanities, 2007-
- Editorial board member, Henoch, 2006-
- Editorial board member, Library of New Testament Studies 2004-